Toshiba BlueScope Project 21
Project: Toshiba Australia / TMEIC Japan – BlueScope Port Kembla Hot Strip Mill Upgrade Finishing Mill existing DC Drive to 9 Mega Watt AC Motor to provide energy efficiencies, product quality improvements and reduce maintenance costs.
Project Duration: 6 Months
Background: WGL Has provided project management, consulting, engineering and work health and safety services to Toshiba Australia and TMEIC Japan since 1995 on 40 major green and brown field industrial projects.
WGL has assisted with the successful upgrade of two previous 9MW drives in 2007 and 2012. Toshiba engaged WGL to carry out a detailed audit and update the project WHS Systems and contractor managements processes to align with the new WHS legislation adopted in New South Wales.
Scope of Work:
Toshiba Australia TMEIC Japan specific goals for WGL for the Project:
- Implement systems and processes that assisted the business meet compliance.
- Risk review
- Develop a system that is simple to understand and use for management, workers and contractors.
- Develop a system that meets the phases of the project: Design, Construct, Install, Commission.
- A system that matches our daily business operations and activities.
- Mentoring for management
- Training and instruction for workers and contractors.
- Contractor systems review.
- Major Shut Down WHS coordination and monitoring
- KPI reporting.
WGL was engaged to carry out a detailed audit, review of the business Work Health and Safety system compliance status against the new WHS legislation and develop a new safety system from the ground up.
WGL “I Take Care Safe Systems” framework was identified as the perfect solution to deliver systems and processes to meet the clients workplace needs.
WGL Project Process:
Detailed field and desktop systems audit to identify what business has in place, what is working well and where there are opportunities for improvement.
Review CLIENT work practices and review Work Flow and relationship with Work Health & Safety and business efficiency improvements.
Based on AS/NZS ISO 31000 and SWA “How to Manage Work Health and Safety Risks” project and work place risks were identified, rated and control strategies implemented.
Carried out based on AS/NZS 4801, WHS ACT, WHS Regulations, SWA Codes of Practice and prepare Gap Report.
In consultation with the key stake holders a WHS Action Plan developed to clearly define the actions and priorities required.
Prepare project deliverable schedule using WGL extensive Project Management skills and Kepner Tregoe techniques. It is critical to project success to have access to key stake holders and team members and identify and deliver on critical milestones.
- System audit against legislation and BlueScope site requirements.
- WHS Safety Management Plan.
- Risk Register.
- Toshiba project induction.
- Worker and sub contractor training.
- Shut Down WHS Coordination and monitoring.
- KPI reporting.